I am too lazy to put up pictures this week and, let's face it, noone wants to see different views of what Derrick looks like studying in the kitchen, studying in the office, studying in the living room, studying on the bed, playing mario brothers (old school version) on his computer while taking a break from studying, etc. :) He's had a lot of tests lately!
Last night we took a break from it all and went to "Sushi Express" in Boston. It was a lot of fun. We walked home from the restaurant because it was so warm yesterday. I wore a T-shirt yesterday and it's mid-November. I hope it lasts for a while! We also saw the Warren Miller movie and it made us both homesick for Utah mountains and skiing. Derrick has been reading the free ski magazine and looking at pictures ever since. Boston is wonderful, but we definitely miss the mountains.
There has been a lot of hullabaloo out here in our ward because of prop 8. Many members of the congregation were wearing gay rights ribbons to church and have been very vocal about their disagreement with the church's stand on the issue. It's been a tough one for me to think through. I understand that everyone is entitled to equal protection of the laws and that all men are created equally. However, perhaps the framers of the constitution simply did not contemplate a society that wanted to abort its children and promote same-sex relationships. When you start getting into these types of issues, then the constitution does nothing to prevent it. Accordingly, it seems it should be allowed under our currently-existing laws. It is very difficult to legislate morality (what one person defines as morality compared to another is also a discussion for another day). It seems to me that all people should be able to use their ability to choose the way they would like. I think the difficulty really lies in the challenge of separating emotion and religion from human rights/equal rights when the rights that others are trying to promote are repugnant to your own belief system. I'm open to thoughts on this. :)
We love and miss you all and hope things are going well for everybody!
Mel and Derrick
6 comments:
Enjoy the warm, 'cause it ain't gonna last! That's how it was here until Saturday, now we have cold and snow in Kirtland. As far as your musings, I understand your unease with these issues. I also feel it is important to vote and vocalize according to (as you called it) your belief system. I don't pretend to be an "intelectual" but I do feel strongly that the family (as defined in our prophetic proclamatioan)being ordained of God and any legislation or movement that weakens that in any way, I oppose. Not because the brethren say I should oppose it, but because of my feelings after I have studied it out in my mind and what I feel in my heart.
Your thoughts on the subject reflect my own pretty closely. I think you get into sticky territory when you try to legislate morality...whether it reflects your own beliefs or not (and guaranteed, the majority will not always share your beliefs). I won't say I disagree with the church so publicly supporting a political issue (who am I to argue?), but I was very surprised. If nothing else it will be...interesting(?) to see the continued fallout over this.
As for your political musings... This whole issue is a reminder for me as to why I do not live on the east or west coast, and am looking forward to retiring to northern Idaho where I hope you will visit often when you need a break from Sodom and Gomorrah... When you come to visit just don't look back I've already got my years supply of salt :) The weathers nice here too..... Miss you guys
Love Rich
We miss you guys as much as you miss the mountains!
Very interesting Bell. I would love to talk with you on the phone about this issue. Seems familiar to what we experience out here. I am torn.
I don't understand why some members are so opposed to the California and Arizona propositions that passed. Especially out here in the lovely east.... I thought we were supposed to want those amendments to pass! (At least from a religious point of view)
Post a Comment