Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Boston Shopping Experience


We began our shopping experience this morning at the haymarket downtown. As you can see...you can buy ANYTHING! It is basically a free-for-all. One seller, an icon of customer service, yelled to the guy in front of us "move it! you standin' theya like a stick in the grass! get movin'!" (I guess he didn't like him staring at his produce--I sure don't like people staring at my produce when I'm trying to sell it either, I tell ya). Actually, the haymarket is an AMAZING place to get yummy food and it is super cheap, you just have to sort of inspect things for mold and bugs (and don't stare too long at the veggies).
I ended the shopping experience today at a grocery store called the "Market Basket"--the only supermarket for miles where you can buy Cheerios and frozen juice. The aisles are super narrow and I had a shopping cart with one of those wheels that keeps veering left so by the time you finish shopping your biceps are burning from trying to keep the cart from running into everyone else. The store reminds you of the United Nations and a sawmill at the same time. You have people speaking every language imaginable (and purchasing every food imaginable--I know, I broke the cardinal sin of peeking into other people's shopping carts...) and instead of wiping up spills on the floor they just pour sawdust over it (this also makes driving the cart that much more exciting because you not only are using all your muscle to keep the cart from veering left, but your back wheels stop turning and slide around every corner). This is the coolest town ever. :)

On a random note--our favorite add right now is for the boston aquarium shark exhibit. It is posted on those adds that they put on top of taxis so people see them as they are driving around. It is a big blue sign that says "SHAAAAAKS".

5 comments:

THE TWO BELLS said...

I loved hearing about your shopping experience! Sounds like an adventure at every turn in Boston!

Kelly said...

This is a great post and memory. I can't believe I get so excited to see how you are doing in Boston. I am seriously living vicariously through you. It is so much fun to discover a city together - I really loved doing it with B pre-kids. Our neighbor is from "Boiston" and I loved the reference to Shaaaaks!

Darren and Kim said...

You are going to have a lot of missionary opportunities head of you! I wish I could have been there to laugh with you.

Kristine and Ryan said...

Hahaha! That is so funny. Mel, you really should write a book.

Alicia said...

Sounds like a blast out there! I so hope you guys will get an accent. Will you please do that for me? We love you guys.