So it's been really rainy the last couple of days because of the tropical storm passing through. It has worked out well because Derrick has had to study a lot for an exam on Monday so we aren't tempted to go out on more adventures.
Things have been great this week except for Derricks encounter with the pavement the other night. He was riding his long board to play basketball with some friends and hit a man hole and fell on his right hip. He has a bruise the size of a large watermelon all down his right hip and leg and his hip is still really swollen (I tease him that he has mother hips now). He was really sore the day after, but he seems to be feeling a lot better now.
I did a nine mile run on Friday in preparation for the applefest half marathon coming up in October. I am grateful that my friend, Jen, has moved out here for a few months to work and is training with me--otherwise the long runs would be torture! Running here is a bit different than in SLC--people say that being at sea level is easier, but it's actually more difficult for me to get my breath with the humid air. Luckily I've got one more month to adjust. :)
I am starting a part time job on Monday teaching ESL at a non-profit school. I am excited for the opportunity to work with people from a lot of different cultures. There is actually no one single cultural majority at the school. I had the chance to work with many of the students at registration and I am so impressed. They all want to work hard and contribute to society and are so determined. If anyone has some fun ideas for teaching adults the alphabet other than the ABC song (that was Derrick's suggestion) I am all ears. :)
7 comments:
Running in the humidity is so much different. We played utimate frisbee when we were home in Aug. and my lungs were burning. We all have to adjust. Good luck with the half!
Poor Derrick (again?!) Good luck with the new job--sounds like it will be rewarding!
So sorry Derrick. At least there were no broken bones! It has taken us a while to get used to the humidity but are now learning to love it. We'll ask some of our fellow missionaries for teaching ideas...many have been teachers. See you two next week!
Rich says I can't wait to see those birthing hips :) Leslie told me I had to tell you that she Luke and Bentley hope you feel better. See you in a week!!
Sounds like a great job. We sing the alphabet song over and over, but also love alphabet books. We also have some foam letters for the tub, but that probably won't work!
Hello! I just caught up on all your blog posts. I loved reading about your grocery store experience and Jake was happy to know he wasn't the only one to get two tickets in a short amount of time (his were speeding though). It looks like you are having a lot of fun!
It was good to see you guys at the reception.
We started a blog, too. Here is the URL:
http://5outoftheloop.blogspot.com/
We are slow...
Post a Comment